Thursday, April 5, 2012

Blue Moon--Spring Blonde Wheat Ale


Yes, that is a picture of Blue Moon’s Spring Blonde Wheat Ale in the trash. Why you ask? Because it is garbage. I like to do positive beer reviews, because that means I just drank a beer that I like. Unfortunately, this review will not be positive.
Due to some unseasonably warm weather, I thought I would make some beermosas. For those of you who have not tried a beermosa, I would highly recommend it as a summer beer cocktail. Just put about ¼ cup of orange juice in the bottom of your beer glass and pour in your favorite Belgian White Ale. Surprisingly good.
I purchased the Blue Moon Spring Mix pack, seeing as all of the beers already had some sort of orange in them and were variants of the original Blue Moon Belgian White, I thought they would be perfect for some more adventurous beermosas. (My advice after trying them, just stick with a classic Belgian White Ale).
Since the beermosas were less than successful, I decided to try the Spring Blonde Wheat Ale on its own. Honestly, I could barely tell the difference between it and a Butt Light, oops I mean a Bud Light (Freudian slip?). Maybe my expectations were too high, but I will never again buy this carbonated beer flavored water. Speaking of carbonation, it was probably the only saving grace of this beer, the crispy fizz helping me to get it down.
I paid 14.99 for this twelve pack. For an extra dollar or two, I could have gotten a twelve pack from one of my favorite local brewers, The Great Lakes Brewing Company. Or, for about four dollars less I could have gotten a twelve pack of Yuengling, which although cheaper, tastes much better than this Blue Moon.
I guess Blue Moon is an appropriate name for this brewery, because you should only buy their beer once in a blue moon.
Stay Classy,
-Captain Z

No comments:

Post a Comment