Monday, December 3, 2012

Anderson Valley Brewing Company - Brother David's Triple Abbey Style Ale



I had a special moment while picking out this beer.  I nearly passed it up because its label was so plain, but it turned out its simplicity is what caught my eye.  That might not make sense.

I realize the background for this picture is a little dark, but that's only because one of our lights had burned out and it is 10:30pm.  Nevertheless, you can see it's beautiful, reddish-brown/medium amber color.  This was an incredibly crisp, smooth beer with a refreshingly unique, mild, bitter, hoppy taste.  That's a lot of adjectives, but there's a lot goin on here.  It's almost strange in the sense that it is unique but familiar.  That might not make any sense either.

Their website describes it best.  "Brother David’s Triple features a bright, dry fragrance, with aroma overtones of malt, fruit, and freshly mown fields.  A 10% ABV ale, it is balanced by a rich malt backbone, spicy hops, and fruity yeast esters.  Surprisingly light bodied, the brewers add candy sugar during the brewing process to add alcohol and a medium-high carbonation."  (www.avbc.com)

The bottle even says "it's bound to raise your spirits."  Considering the quality of the taste, 10% ABV, and the surprise of finding yet another interesting monk-beer, I can definitely say my spirits were raised. 

This beer is fun, and not disappointing in the slightest bit.  My only complaint is that I got a little excited when I purchased it, and consequently did not refrigerate it long enough before indulging.

I've always been an Ale fan.  Now one especially for this triple ale; the trifecta of ales.  Brother David knows his stuff.  Try it.

Always Thirsty,
-Thirsteve

2 comments: