Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dragon's Milk--New Holland Brewing Company



Christmas is just around the corner, and what better way to celebrate icy roads than with a Dragon-themed brew. The New Holland Brewing Company brings us Dragon's Milk, a very dark, basically opaque ale. I've been eyeing this up for months in the store and just recently talked myself into buying it. It has a malty, fairly sweet taste, almost like a rum candy. They describe it as a "roasty malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones, all dancing in an oak bath." It is somewhat like a rich, malty, milk stout. Boasting a 10% ABV, you will be soaring like a dragon after a few of these.

Its pairings are said to be: red meat, smoked foods, balsamic, rich cheese, and dark chocolate. So naturally I chose to enjoy mine with some Chipotle. The only real downside to this is that it is incredibly expensive, running roughly $4 per bottle. However, milking a dragon is understandably a dangerous job, and the high price comes with the risk.

As far as taste goes I am not disappointed, but I do not see myself paying $16 again for a 4-pack any time soon. I slayed the dragon, not with a sword, but through my appetite for a premium ale, being only disappointed in the price. Ask for this as a Christmas present, or gift it to a friend.  It's a great special-occasion drink, but too pricy to enjoy on a regular basis.

Stay thirsty,
-Thirsteve

No comments:

Post a Comment