Friday, February 24, 2012

Hoegaarden Brewery--Original White Ale


I like to shorten the names of beers and breweries. For example, instead of saying “give me a Yuengling” I will say, “give me a Yueng” or “Heineken” may become “Heine.” You can understand my concern when I first thought this Original White Ale was made by a brewery called HO-GAR-DEN. The possibility for confusion by my friends and family when I would inevitably refer to this beer as a “Hoe” could be disastrous; even worse than when I started referring to Goose Island’s Honkers Ale as just “Honkers.” Thankfully, the box explains that it’s WHO-GAR-DEN. Whew!

Now that that is cleared up we can have a Who without confusing anyone, except for any Dr. Seuss aficionados out there wondering if this was the beer they drank in Whoville. If they did have Hoegaarden White Ale in Whoville, it would provide an alternative explanation for why the Grinch wanted to “steal Christmas”—he wanted all the beer!

To the point, Hoegaarden is an unfiltered wheat beer, which means there are little floaters in it, so don’t be surprised, they are supposed to be there. The first sip of this beer reveals a little bit of spice that some people won’t like, but I found this to become more subdued after a few sips. Many craft beer Belgians will offer more full-bodied flavor than the Hoegaarden White Ale, but it’s moderate temperament could make the White Ale a good springboard into higher-intensity Belgians. Perhaps you might call it a gateway beer.

All in all, this is a good, mild, Belgian wheat beer. Try it, it’s kind of refreshing. All the Who’s in Whoville are doing it.

Stay Classy,

-Captain Z


No comments:

Post a Comment